What Happens During a Consultation With a Criminal Defense Lawyer?
Arrested? Dealing with the aftermath is stressful. You are not alone in going through these challenging times. According to data from the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS), more than 800,000 people are arrested in the state each year. Following an arrest, you need skilled and proactive legal representation.
The sooner you consult with a lawyer, the better. This raises an important question: What happens during an initial consultation with a criminal defense attorney? In this article, you will find an overview of some of the key things to know about what will happen when you set up an appointment to discuss your case with a Fort Worth criminal defense attorney.
Preparing for a Consultation With a Criminal Defense Lawyer (What Happens)
During a consultation with a criminal defense lawyer, clients can expect an in-depth conversation about the details of their case and the legal options available to them. The purpose of this meeting is to gain a better understanding of the situation, assess the possible outcomes, and establish a working relationship between the client and the attorney. Here is what you should expect:
- Hear Your Story (Fact-Finding): A Fort Worth defense attorney will usually start by asking a potential client to provide a detailed account of the events that led to the criminal charges. Among other things, this may include information about the arrest, the circumstances surrounding the alleged crime, and any interactions with law enforcement. The attorney will also gather relevant personal information, such as the client’s background and criminal history, to better understand the context of the case.
- Legal Analysis:Based on the information provided, a defense attorney will assess the strengths and weaknesses of the case. They will examine the potential charges, the evidence against the client, and any possible defenses. Comprehensive analysis helps a lawyer identify any procedural or substantive issues that could be raised to challenge the case.
- A Discussion of Strategy:Strategy should also be customized. An attorney will discuss potential legal strategies and tactics with the client, taking into account the client’s goals and preferences. It could involve negotiating a plea deal, moving to suppress evidence, or preparing a vigorous defense for trial.
- Explanation of the Process (Next Steps):A Fort Worth defense lawyer will also explain the steps involved in the criminal justice process, such as arraignment, pretrial hearings, trial, and sentencing.
- Representation Agreement: If the client decides to retain the attorney’s services, they will discuss the terms of representation. This includes the scope of services provided, the attorney’s fees, and the client’s responsibilities. A written agreement or retainer will be signed to formalize the attorney-client relationship.
Contact Our Fort Worth, TX Criminal Defense Attorney Today
At The Law Office of Kyle Whitaker, our Texas criminal defense lawyer is a skilled and future-focused advocate for defendants. If you have any questions about your case, we are here as a professional resource. Contact us today to arrange your strictly confidential appointment. From our Fort Worth law office, we serve communities in Tarrant County and throughout North Central Texas.